Skip to main content

Windows Live Messenger: Error Code: 80048820 (80048439)

Fanatic Live - All about MSN Messenger & Windows Live technologies

If you're using a NetGear wireless router and you're experiencing Windows Live Messenger (or MSN Messenger)
Error Code: 80048820 / Extended Error Code: 80048439,

Windows Live Messenger: Error Code: 80048820 (80048439): Symptom
try reducing the size of the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) in the Router's WAN Setup page – from 1500 bytes to 1400 bytes. (However, see Updates below for optimal values.)
Windows Live Messenger: Error Code: 80048820 (80048439): Fixed
I have had this problem for several months. My office network is connected to the Internet via a set of transparent proxy servers. Windows Live Messenger's does not detect any connection problem. However, it just does not sign on!

Today I looked into this problem again, and fortunately after Googling for a while, I found a viable solution from Fanatic Live website:
Stretch suggested that NetGear users go to the WAN Setup page and change the MTU size to 1400 bytes.

I followed his suggestion and it worked like charm!


Thanks, Stretch. I appreciate it!

Keywords: , , , , , , ,

Update: August 17, 06:

A friend of mine suggested that the MTU value of 1400 maybe too low as it will increase too much overhead during large file transfers. The MTU size is like the maximum size of packet transmitted over the network. Small MTU size increases the number of transmitted packets. Here's an information on MTU from NetGear Router WAN Setup page:
The normal MTU (Maximum Transmit Unit) value for most Ethernet networks is 1500 Bytes, 1492 Bytes for PPPoE connections, or 1436 for PPTP connections. For some ISPs you may need to reduce the MTU. But this is rarely required, and should not be done unless you are sure it is necessary for your ISP connection.

I set the MTU to 1492 and error 80048820 (80048439) still occurred. I reduced the value one step further to 1436 and the problem disappeared. Therefore, my current MTU setting is at 1436 bytes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Padonc's "Bought from Mae Hong Son" T-shirts -- Interesting Souvenir from Mae Hong Son

Padonc's "Bought from Mae Hong Son" T-shirts -- Interesting Souvenir from Mae Hong Son The "I love New York" t-shirt and the series of souvenir was one of my impressive memory from my previous trips to New York City. I got this same kind of impression when I was browsing by the shops by the Jong Kam Walking Street in the city of Mae Hong Son in the second night of the trip. I didn't look at the seller when I caught the sight of these T-shirts. The seller greeted me and, surprisingly, she was P'Kwan, my senior alumni from Chulalongkorn University, who lives in Mae Hong Son and gave me a warm welcome when my family and I went for a dinner at Fern Restaurant in Mae Hong Son town the other night. Note: Pi or P' (its abbreviation) is a Thai word to call an elder sister or brother. Here are the pictures: P'Kwan and Her Shop The T-shirts P'Kwan and the Shop P'Kay, P'Kwan's Husband, at Another Shop Keywords: trips , mae-hong-son , thai

Tip: Converting a CSV File into XML by Excel

I came across a problem to convert a historical data in comma-separated format (CSV) into a modern & more useful XML format. There are many ways to do such conversion. The most obvious one is to do it programmatically by writing a program to read CSV data and exporting it to an XML file by means of the Simple API for XML (SAX) or the Document Object Model (DOM) libraries. But I was too lazy to do it. I knew that Microsoft Excel 2003 supports exporting worksheets into XML data. I tried it out but found that it is not that simple -- we have to define an XML schema and bind each element to each column of the worksheet. So I went on researching. Finally, I found a very useful tool on MSDN: Excel 2003 XML Tools Add-in Version 1.1 ( download ). The Excel Add-in's "XML Tools -> Convert a Range to an XML List" menu command allows us to simply select a range in a worksheet (with or without first row as column names) -- with the advanced options to specify the XML root

It’s been eight years and here comes COVID-19 in early 2020

This blog was last posted in 2008 before Facebook and LinkedIn went mainstream. I have since then socialized and posted a lot on Facebook and LinkedIn. During the global COVID-19 crisis in early 2020 people dramatically change the way they live and work since they day I last posted on this blog. They stay a lot at home during the great lockdown to prevent the spreading of the coronavirus. Here is a summary of my online presence: Facebook: http://fb.com/drthitiv LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/thitiv LINE: http://line.thiti.it Bangkok, THAILAND April 22, 2020